Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has appealed for global pressure on Israel to stop its ongoing breaches of the November 2024 ceasefire agreement.
“Lebanon and the Lebanese people do not want war and will not accept the Israeli occupation of their land,” Berri said on Monday during a meeting with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier in Beirut.
“We cannot succumb to these daily violations and attacks."
Berri also reaffirmed Lebanon's complete dedication to the ceasefire pact with Israel.
The parliament speaker expressed gratitude to the German president for his nation's backing of Lebanon and its contributions to multiple development initiatives in the country.
Steinmeier, for his part, said Germany will keep supporting Lebanon across different sectors and voiced his opposition to the Israeli occupation of Lebanese land.
The German president arrived in Lebanon on February 15 for a three-day trip, during which he will officially open a Lebanese naval academy in Beirut.
Earlier on Monday, a young Lebanese man was killed in an Israeli drone strike on the town of Hanin in the Bint Jbeil district of southern Lebanon.
Lebanon's official National News Agency (NNA) reported that Mohammad Tahsin Hussein Qashqash was preparing to start the van he owned, which was parked outside his house alongside his SUV, to transport students to school when the attack was carried out.
It added that that the Israeli drone fired several missiles at him, resulting in his death and the burning of both vehicles.
Israel's military confirmed the incident in a statement, saying it killed an individual who was purportedly involved in efforts to re-establish Hezbollah infrastructure.
Israeli breaches of the November 2024 ceasefire have resulted in the deaths and injuries of hundreds of Lebanese citizens. Israel persists in occupying five Lebanese highlands captured during the recent war, along with other regions of Lebanon it has controlled for many years.
In October 2023, Israel launched military attacks on Lebanon, which escalated into a full-blown war by September 2024, leading to over 4,000 fatalities and approximately 17,000 injuries.
Lebanese authorities have consistently called for pressure on Tel Aviv to stop its assaults and adhere to the ceasefire conditions. They are demanding the removal of Israeli troops from the territories seized in the last war.