The Iranian foreign minister’s senior aide for special political affairs has condemned the Saudi-led war coalition’s relentless assaults against the Yemeni people, calling on the United Nations and all international humanitarian organizations to take immediate actions to put an end to the atrocities.
Ali Asghar Khaji denounced the massacre of the people of Yemen and the extensive bombardments of Yemeni cities, civilian sites, and infrastructures by the Saudi-led coalition.
Khaji made the remarks in a message on Thursday, addressing Hans Grundberg, special envoy of the United Nations secretary-general for Yemen.
He said the Saudi-led coalition’s brutal actions run counter to the recognized international law.
“The United Nations and all international humanitarian organizations are urged to take immediate action to stop these inhumane crimes,” the envoy added.
“Certainly, as the experience of the past seven years has shown, sanctions, military conflicts, and the killing of people cannot lead to the resolving of the Yemeni crisis,” he noted.
Khaji went on to say that the way out of the current situation is through lifting the all-out Saudi siege against the oppressed people of Yemen, stopping the military operations, and respecting the independence and sovereignty of the Yemeni people.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran is ready to cooperate and work in this direction as in the past,” he added.
Enjoying complete arms, logistical, and political backing from the United States, Saudi Arabia led many of its allies, chief among them the UAE, in a 2015-present invasion of Yemen. The war has been seeking to crush the popular Ansarullah resistance movement and reinstall the former Riyadh-friendly government.
The war has killed hundreds of thousands of Yemenis and turned the entirety of Yemen into the scene of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
However, the Ansarullah movement, which runs the National Salvation Government in Sana’a, has vowed not to lay down its arms until the country’s complete liberation from the scourge of the Saudi invasion.
Throughout the course of the Saudi war, Iran has voiced its support for the Yemeni people and denounced the war coalition countries’ crimes in Yemen.
On Tuesday, Iran deplored the loss of scores of lives in a recent Saudi-led aerial raid against Yemen, and called on the United Nations to use all available means to hold to account the perpetrators and sponsors of the criminal act.
More than 100 people were killed and over 260 others wounded last week when the US-backed and Saudi-led war coalition launched an airstrike against a detention center in Yemen’s northwestern city of Sa’ada.
Tehran has time and again called for political solution for years-long Saudi Yemen war, stressing that siege and military strikes will not end the crisis in the war-torn Arab country.
Iran say it welcomes whatever initiative that could bring about an end to the seven-year-old Saudi war on the Arab country, and has backed initiatives that are based on political solutions for an end to the Saudi Crippling blockade and devastating war.
Iran has said current problems in Yemen should be settled through diplomatic channels in cooperation with all Yemenis, noting that the country's political future can be determined only through intra-Yemeni talks.
According to Yemeni officials, since the beginning of January, attacks by the Saudi-led coalition waging war on Yemen have claimed the lives of at least 150 people.
In response, the Yemeni army has conducted fresh rounds of retaliatory operations against Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
In the meantime, The US administration of Joe Biden has fully supported Saudi Arabia’s war on Yemen, despite Biden’s promise to end US support for Riyadh.
Last Friday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke to his Saudi counterpart to emphasize “the US commitment to help Persian Gulf partners improve their capabilities to defend against threats from Yemen.”