A 17-year-old Palestinian succumbed to injuries he sustained during Israeli forces raid southeast of the occupied West Bank city of Jenin on Tuesday, according to the health authorities.
The official Palestinian news agency WAFA quoted Fawaz Hamad, head of al-Razi hospital in Jenin, as saying that Othman Atef Abu Kharj died after suffering severe injuries during the confrontations that broke out amidst the Israeli army raid on al-Zababdeh village.
He was wounded by a gunshot to the head and died at al-Razi Hospital in the northern West Bank city of Jenin, the Health Ministry said.
The development comes a week after two young Palestinians were killed and several others injured when Israeli military forces stormed a refugee camp in the eastern flank of the West Bank.
Palestinian Shehab news agency, citing local sources, reported at the time that a large number of Israeli troops, onboard dozens of military vehicles, stormed Aqabat Jaber refugee camp, located three kilometers southwest of Ariha, in the early hours of August 15.
The raids resulted in armed clashes with resistance fighters there.
Dozens of Palestinians detained in multiple raids
According to another report by WAFA, Israeli forces detained some 47 Palestinians during multiple raids across the West Bank on Tuesday morning.
In Ramallah, it said, Israeli forces carried out a military raid into the town of Abwein, northeast of the city, and detained 16 Palestinians.
Another military raid was conducted in the Batan al-Hawa neighborhood, where they detained another Palestinian, it added.
Moreover, 12 Palestinians from different towns were detained in Hebron, the report said. In Nablus, north of the West Bank, the regime forces detained five Palestinians.
Six Palestinians in Qalqilya, three in Tulkarem, and a 43-year-old Palestinian in the town of Qarawat Bani Hassan, west of Salfit, were detained during multiple Israeli raids, according to the report.
Israeli forces launch raids on various cities of the West Bank almost on a daily basis under the pretext of detaining what the regime calls “wanted” Palestinians. The raids usually lead to violent confrontations with residents.
More than 200 Palestinians have been killed this year in the occupied Palestinian territories and Gaza. The majority of these fatalities have been recorded in the West Bank.
More than 30 people have been killed in Palestinian retaliatory attacks against Israeli settlers during that time.
Those figures indicate that 2023 is already the deadliest year for Palestinians in the West Bank since the United Nations began keeping track of fatalities in 2005.
Previously, 2022 had been the deadliest year with 150 Palestinians killed, of whom 33 were minors, according to the United Nations.
The rising number of fatalities last year prompted UN experts to condemn the treatment of Palestinians, including attacks on their homes and destruction of their property.