The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights has condemned in the strongest terms the recent execution of two nationals in Saudi Arabia, calling on international human rights organizations to take a firm stance against the appalling atrocity as the kingdom executed twice as many people last year as it did in 2021.
The ministry announced in a statement that the 27-year-old Yemeni citizen Mohammad Muqbil al-Wasel, who hailed from the southwestern province of Dhamar, and Shajaa Salah Mahdi Jamil, 29, were put to death by Saudi authorities following unfair and summary trials, and the victims were deprived of the right to have a lawyer assist in their defense.
The statement went on to note that Saudi officials have not provided any information about the circumstances of the executions to the relatives of the two young Yemeni men, stating that the move constitutes a torture, ill-treatment and criminal act under international human rights conventions.
The Ministry highlighted that the latest executions add to the House of Saud’s abysmal records and long lists of collective crimes committed against the Yemeni nation, as several Yemeni expatriates have been killed under similar circumstances in Saudi Arabia in the past.
The statement deplored the crime as an absolute disgrace to the so-called advocates of democracy as well as freedom of opinion and expression, especially the United Nations and the United States.
The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights also called on all human rights organizations, the international community and freedom-loving people around the world to adopt a firm stance in the face of the Saudi regime’s crimes, and urged the United Nations Security Council and the UN Human Rights Council to take proper measures to stop the practice.
Last November, Yemeni national Ali Atef al-Aliei, who originally came from the western province of Mahwit, was arrested by Saudi regime forces near his workplace, taken away to an unknown location, severally beaten up and suffocated to death.
The Yemeni human rights group Insan Rights and Freedoms Organization said in a statement at the time that the victim had told his family in Yemen that he was receiving death threats, before they lost communication with him since September 9. His body was recovered at last from al-Manar police station in the Saudi capital of Riyadh.
The human rights group noted that Aliei was subjected to heinous and horrific forms of torture, which showed the savagery and brutality of Saudi authorities against migrants and constituted a flagrant violation of all international principles.
Back in April last year, the Arabic-language New al-Khalij news website reported that Saudi authorities had deported hundreds of Ethiopian migrant workers after keeping them for months in detention centers across the oil-rich kingdom under degrading conditions.
“We returned to our blessed country after six months in prison... but many of our brothers are still suffering, especially in men’s prisons,” a 28-year-old woman said at the time.
“We cried every day. They gave us bread and a pot of cooked rice for 300 people. Sometimes they put up to 400 people in the same room and we couldn’t see the sunlight,” Jamila Shafi told AFP upon her arrival in Ethiopia.