Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman says Tehran welcomes any initiative that helps pave the way for reviving the 2015 nuclear deal.
Speaking at a news conference on Monday, Nasser Kan’ani also said that the date of the next round of negotiations is likely to be set soon.
Kan’ani stressed that Tehran has always supported diplomacy to restore the deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
He added that Iran is serious about reaching a comprehensive agreement that guarantees its interests, particularly the economic ones, within the framework of the JCPOA.
Since April last year, Iran and the remaining signatories to the landmark deal have been engaged in marathon talks to salvage the accord, from which the US withdrew more than four years ago.
Kan’ani noted that “messages were exchanged” between the negotiating parties in the past few days.
Referring to efforts made by France and other countries to bring the views of the opposite sides closer to each other, the spokesman said the Islamic Republic “welcomes any initiative that contributes to reaching an agreement.”
Tehran “has always been creative and flexible and present at the negotiating table,” he said, adding that it is “possible” that a date for the next round of negotiations would be agreed upon “in the near future.”
However, he reiterated Tehran’s stance that a successful conclusion of the talks hinges on whether the US is determined to reach a “reasonable and sustainable” agreement.
Washington should refrain from raising irrelevant issues, he asserted.
The JCPOA was unilaterally ditched in May 2018 by former US president Donald Trump, who then went on the implement a “maximum pressure” campaign against Tehran despite its full compliance with the pact.
The administration of US President Joe Biden had said it is willing to undo Trump’s “failed” policy toward Tehran and rejoin the ailing deal, but it has retained the anti-Iran sanctions as leverage.
Tehran insists that all sanctions must first be removed in a verifiable manner before it reverses the “remedial measures” it has taken in response to the US withdrawal and maximum pressure policy.
Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses: