News   /   Politics

Iran won’t initiate war, but will ‘decisively’ defend itself against aggression: UN envoy

Iran’s Ambassador to the United Nations Amir Saeid Iravani

The Iranian ambassador and permanent representative to the United Nations has stressed that the Islamic Republic will not initiate any war but will deliver a “decisive” response to an act of aggression against the country.

Amir Saeid Iravani made the remarks in a letter sent on Thursday to the UN chief and the Security Council president, one day after US President Donald Trump threatened that Washington may need to use the Indian Ocean's Diego Garcia Island, home to a joint UK-US military base, to attack Iran.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran has repeatedly stated at the highest level that it neither seeks tension nor war, and will not initiate any war,” he said.

“However, in the event that it is subjected to military aggression, Iran will respond decisively and proportionately in the exercise of its inherent right of self-defense under Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations.”

He also noted that in case of any military aggression against Iran, all regional bases, facilities, and assets belonging to the “hostile force” would constitute "legitimate targets" for Iran’s retaliatory operations.

The United States, Iravani warned, would bear responsibility for any "unpredictable and uncontrolled" consequences.

He further denounced Trump’s threats to use force against Iran as a flagrant violation of the UN Charter and international law that risks plunging the entire region into a new cycle of crisis and instability.

“Given the volatile situation in the region and the persistent movement and build-up of military equipment and assets by the United States, such a belligerent statement by the President of the United States must not be treated as mere rhetoric, it signals a real risk of military aggression, the consequences of which would be catastrophic for the region and would constitute a grave threat to international peace and security,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Iranian envoy emphasized that the country remains fully committed to the purposes and principles of the UN Charter and to diplomatic solutions.

He highlighted Tehran’s engagement in recent indirect nuclear talks with Washington in Geneva aimed at lifting unlawful US sanctions and addressing ambiguities regarding Iran’s peaceful nuclear program.

Iravani also said that a durable and balanced solution can be achieved if the United States, like Iran, approaches nuclear talks with "seriousness and sincerity and demonstrate genuine respect for the UN Charter and international law."

Additionally, he renewed Iran’s call on the Security Council to ensure that the United States immediately ceases its unlawful threats, complies with its obligations under the UN Charter, and refrains from any action that could further escalate tensions or lead to a military confrontation.

“The Security Council and the Secretary-General must act without delay, before it is too late. The Security Council must not allow threats of the use of force and acts of aggression to be normalized, legitimized, or treated as an acceptable political norm, or to be used as instruments of foreign policy. Should such unlawful conduct be left unaddressed, another sovereign Member State's turn will soon come,” he warned.

Trump began to threaten military action against Iran after recent economic protests in the country, which were quickly hijacked by foreign-backed rioters.

Since then, the United States has dispatched a number of warships to regional waters near Iran, prompting authorities in Tehran to warn that even a single shot fired at the country would be met with a far-reaching and massive response.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku