Iran’s finance ministry (MEAF) has denied it has eased a ban enacted in 2018 on imports of home appliance into the country.
The ministry issued a statement on Tuesday saying that it had registered no new orders for imports of home appliances into Iran as claimed by a local newspaper.
The statement said, though, that people living in border regions of Iran are allowed to import limited shipments of home appliances to help their local economies.
The waiver still excludes home appliances manufactured in South Korea, it added.
Iran imposed a ban on imports of home appliances in 2018 after a boom in local manufacturing led officials to introduce measures to support domestic brands.
The ban was later tightened to block any imports of home appliances from South Korea, a country where Iranian funds had been blocked because of American sanctions.
MEAF’s Tuesday statement came in response to a report in the local daily Ta'adol which claimed that the government had eased the ban on home appliance imports to allow certain Japanese brands to resume activity in the Iranian market.
The statement said authorities will investigate any claims about illegal imports of home appliances into Iran.