London's Mayor Sadiq Khan rages against the anti-Iran riots that broke out across the British capital earlier, which turned exceptionally violent, injuring a number of police officers.
"The scenes that took place last night were completely unacceptable," the official tweeted on Monday, calling for "the selfish minority," which was responsible for the violence, to "be brought to justice."
The scenes that took place last night were completely unacceptable. The selfish minority who attempted to hijack a peaceful protest must be brought to justice. 1/3— Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan (@MayorofLondon) September 26, 2022
Footage that emerged from the melee showed angry crowds shouting and pushing officers, who had formed a cordon in front of the Iranian Embassy in Princes Gate, Knightsbridge, The Guardian reported.
Video captured from the violent events also showed "altercations among those in the crowd, and two officers wrestling a protester to the ground, who had broken through the police line," the daily said.
Scotland Yard said several Metropolitan police officers had sustained injuries during the clashes, "including broken bones."
The London mayor added, "On behalf of all Londoners, I wish all the officers injured a swift recovery and urge anyone with information on those involved to call the police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously."
"Violence and attacks on our police and communities will never be tolerated," he observed.
The riots took place after the death in police custody of a young Iranian woman in Tehran earlier this month.
Anti-Iranian Western officials have been trying to hijack the tragedy to promote anarchy and "regime change" rallies inside Iran, although, the Islamic Republic's highest authorities have ordered a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of the woman, who has been named as 22-year-old Mahsa Amini.
Tweeting on Tuesday, Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Nasser Kan'ani, condemned the "reprehensible paradox" that lied behind the incitement to violence on the part of the Western officials.
تعارض شرم آوری است که سخنگویان رسمی و مسئولان عالیرتبه دولتی که با اِعلام و اِعمال سیاست «فشار حداکثری» و « تحریم های ویرانگر و خرد کننده»، می خواستند مردم ایران را به زانو درآورند، امروز سخن از «غمخواری» و «هواداری» مردم ایران می زنند!— Nasser Kanaani (@IRIMFA_SPOX) September 27, 2022
Kan'ani reminded that it was the selfsame officials, who had been seeking to "bring the Iranian nation to its knees" through their "maximum pressure campaign" and "destructive sanctions."
The "maximum pressure" drive began under former US president Donald Trump.
The campaign saw the US exiting a multilateral and historic nuclear accord between Iran and other countries. Upon leaving the agreement, the US also returned the inhumane and illegal sanctions that the accord had lifted.