The Yemeni army says it has thwarted an attack by the Saudi-led coalition forces on the northern district of Harad near the border with Saudi Arabia, while liberating a mountainous area from the control of the kingdom’s mercenaries.
Spokesman for the Yemeni army, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, announced the news via Twitter on Sunday, denying allegations that the Saudi-led coalition forces and their mercenaries have taken control of the strategic district in the northwestern province of Hajjah.
He said the Yemeni forces have inflicted heavy casualties on Saudi-backed forces during the latest operation, as a result of which, some 200 Saudi forces and mercenaries were killed and almost double that number were injured.
In the operation, Saree noted, over 40 armored and military vehicles were also destroyed and two spy drones were shot down, including Chinese-made CH-4 combat drone.
The spokesman further said the Yemeni forces also liberated the strategic Kasara mountain range, an area near the border with Saudi Arabia which was previously under the siege of Saudi mercenaries.
Saree also released images and videos showing Yemeni forces confronting the Saudi-led advance toward Harad and attacking the enemy’s positions.
He explained that the Yemeni armed forces launched massive missile and drone strikes against the gatherings and bases of Saudi forces in Harad and the areas under their control.
The Yemeni artillery units also targeted enemy positions and inflicted losses on the aggressors with their accurate operations, the military spokesman added.
The latest development comes as Saudi jets have bombed Harad on three occasions over the past days.
For more than six years, the Riyadh-led war on the besieged Arab country, aimed at re-installing the regime of Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, has spawned the most horrible humanitarian disaster.
The protracted Saudi war has killed hundreds of thousands of Yemeni civilians and turned the largely mountainous country into the scene of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
The United States, first under Barack Obama and later under Donald Trump and Joe Biden, has been the Saudi-led coalition’s partner in the devastating war that has displaced millions of people.
The US and its Western allies, especially the UK, have backed the horrific war in Yemen by supplying lethal arms to Riyadh and its allies, chief among them the UAE, as well as logistical and political support.
Despite the global conspiracy to crush the Yemeni resistance forces, they have only grown stronger, leaving Riyadh and its allies, most notably the United Arab Emirates, bogged down with losses.