Iraqi resistance groups strike logistical convoys headed for the United States’ occupation forces in a number of locations throughout the Arab country.
Reporting on Sunday, Iraqi news outlets said the attacks targeted the convoys in the city of Babylon in central Iraq, and the cities of Basra and al-Diwaniyah in the country’s south.
The first attack has so far not been claimed by any group or individual.
However, Saraya Awlia al-Dam, a subdivision of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) or Hashd al-Sha’abi umbrella anti-terror force, has claimed the Basra strike.
It said it conducted the attack on the convoy as it was crossing a path known as Jarishan, which is under the control of so-called foreign security companies.
The attack is suspected to have been carried out using either anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) or an explosive device, known as explosively formed penetrator (EFP).
The attack in al-Diwaniya was claimed by another group, named as Ashab al-Kahf (Companions of the Cave).
Either the convoys or the Iraqi bases hosting the US forces come under regular attack across Iraq.
Iraq’s resistance groups have vowed not to lay down their arms or cease their struggle until expulsion of all the American troops.
All forms of US-led military presence was ruled illegal by the Iraqi parliament early last year after a US drone strike martyred senior Iranian and Iraqi anti-terror commanders, Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the PMU’s former second-in-command.
Both the commanders played an indispensable role in the defeat of the foreign-backed Takfiri terrorist group of Daesh. The US has been using Daesh as an excuse to prolong its presence in Iraq.