In reaction to the latest round of Saudi-led bombardments against the impoverished people of Yemen, Tehran has urged Riyadh to stop its war on “fellow Muslims and Arabs,” saying it is time for the Saudis to wake up.
“Defying principles of morality, KSA once again bombards the besieged and famine-stricken people of #Yemen,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said in a Thursday tweet.
“KSA must stop this carnage and end its war on fellow Muslims and Arabs,” he said.
Khatibzadeh's remarks came following intensified airstrikes by the so-called Saudi-led military coalition on the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, after a Yemeni drone attack targeted a petroleum tank farm at Ras Tanura port and a ballistic missile targeted Saudi Aramco’s facilities in the city of Dhahran last week.
The attacks prompoted Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, a member of Yemen’s Supreme Political Council, to call on the international community to criminalize the continuation of the Saudi-led siege and aggression against Yemen.
“We call on the international community to condemn the airstrikes of the American, British, Saudi, and Emirati forces of the coalition and their allies,” al-Houthi wrote in a tweet, adding, “We hold the aggressor states responsible for the crimes and the famine [in Yemen].”
In another part of his Thursday tweet, Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman pointed to the fact that despite early claims by the Riyadh regime that its forces would conquer Yemen in three weeks, Saudi Arabia and its allies have not been able to achieve that goal six years after they began the war.
Defying principles of morality, KSA once again bombards the besieged and famine-stricken people of #Yemen.— Saeed Khatibzadeh (@SKhatibzadeh) March 11, 2021
KSA must stop this carnage and end its war on fellow Muslims and Arabs.
Daydreams of conquering Yemen in "3 weeks" havent't materialized in 6 years.
Time to wake up. pic.twitter.com/llhWXC6Pa1
Saudi Arabia and some of its regional allies waged the Yemen war in March 2015 with the aim of reinstating a Riyadh-friendly regime that had been toppled by a popular uprising led by the Ansarullah movement, which currently runs the Sana’a government.
The Saudi-led war, which has been accompanied by a full blockade on Yemen, has killed tens of thousands of people and taken a heavy toll on the Arab country’s infrastructure.
On Tuesday, the head of the UN World Food Programme (WFP) recalled that he had seen malnourished children on the brink of death when he visited a ward in a hospital in the Yemeni capital of Sana’a.
“In a children’s wing or ward of a hospital, you know you normally hear crying and laughter. [In the Yemeni hospital,] there’s no crying, there’s no laughter, there’s dead silence,” David Beasley said after visiting Yemen.
“I went from room to room, and literally, children that in any other place in the world would be fine– they might get a little sick, but they’d get recovered, but not here,” Beasley said. “This is hell, it’s the worst place on earth. And it’s entirely man-made.”