These are some of the headlines we are tracking for you in this edition of Press TV's Top 5:
- Human Rights Watch publishes a scathing report on the US’s human rights record, with violations ranging from incarceration rates to racial disparities.
- Voting for the 2016 presidential nominations is set to begin in the Iowa caucuses, which have a tremendous amount of influence on the nominating contests.
- Iran begins celebrations, marking the 37th anniversary of the Islamic Revolution, which overthrew the US-backed Pahlavi regime in 1979.
- The UN envoy says talks on ending the war in Syria have officially started, following his meeting with the Saudi-backed opposition groups.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) declares a global emergency over the explosive spread of the Zika virus, linked to birth defects in the Americas.