The Palestinian foreign ministry has condemned the “heinous execution” of a Palestinian man by Israeli forces at a checkpoint in the occupied West Bank.
In a statement released on Sunday, the ministry said the regime had made it "easy for soldiers to kill any Palestinian without them posing any danger to the occupation soldiers."
Earlier in the day, Israeli forces shot dead a 45-year-old man near the village of Silwad north of Ramallah. Palestinian media identified the victim as Ahmed Hassan Abdel-Jalil Kahla. Israel claimed he was killed while attempting to grab a soldier's gun and resisting an inspection. Palestinian media reported that soldiers forced Kahla out of his vehicle before shooting him at point-blank range. The man's son was also pepper-sprayed.
Local and international rights groups have condemned Israel’s excessive use of force and 'shoot-to-kill policy' against the Palestinians.
The foreign ministry recently called on the International Criminal Court (ICC) to complete its ongoing investigations into Israeli crimes against the Palestinians and hold the occupying regime to account for its decades-long atrocities.
Israeli forces launch raids into cities in the West Bank on a virtually daily basis under the pretext of detaining what they call 'wanted' Palestinians. The raids usually lead to violent confrontations.
The United Nations has marked 2022 as the deadliest year for the Palestinians in the West Bank in 16 years. Israeli forces killed at least 171 Palestinians in the West Bank and occupied East al-Quds over the course of 2022.
The resistance movement Hamas said in a statement on Friday it holds Israel accountable for its continued crimes and violations against the Palestinians and reaffirms that the occupying regime’s acts of aggression will not go unnoticed.