Israel appears set to demolish a number of privately-owned Palestinian houses in the occupied East al-Quds neighborhood of al-Tur, amid ongoing land grab policies carried out by the Tel Aviv regime.
According to Palestinian WAFA news agency, Israeli police, accompanied by staff of the Israeli municipality of West al-Quds, stormed several neighborhoods in al-Tur, photographed a number of homes in the area and placed demolition notices against the structures.
The local source did not provide further information on who owns the houses or when the demolitions will take place.
Earlier on Monday, local sources said that Israeli occupation forces demolished two Palestinian-owned houses in the town of Tarqumia, northwest of the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron, in order to expand two illegal settlements.
The destruction of houses took place even though the land owners own legal papers that prove their ownership.
In a report issued in September, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that the Israeli regime has demolished close to 9,000 Palestinian-owned structures since 2009, rendering thousands of Palestinians homeless. The demolitions have displaced some 13,000 Palestinians and inflicted losses on around 152,000 others, the UN report added.
To justify the demolitions, the regime has been claiming that their owners lack construction permit, which is almost impossible to obtain.
The Tel Aviv regime also regularly destroys the homes of Palestinians it blames for attacks on Israeli settlers, in an act of collective punishment condemned by human rights activists.
According to a recent survey, some 130,000 Palestinians, who live in the areas occupied by Israel in 1948, face the threat of demolition of their homes and displacement even though they were not suspected of any wrongdoing.
The staggering increase in Israel's demolitions of Palestinian structures comes in the context of the propping up and expansion of illegal settlements across the occupied Palestinian territories, which continues amid a deafening silence from the international community.
Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses: