News   /   Palestine   /   Editor's Choice

Hamas warns Israel against ‘miscalculations’ in so-called flag march in al-Quds

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)
Palestinians wave a national flag and flash the victory gesture in front of the Dome of the Rock in the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied al-Quds. (File photo by AFP)

The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has warned the Israeli regime against any “miscalculations” to have right-wing groups and extremist settlers march through the occupied Old City of al-Quds as part of the so-called March of the Flags at the weekend.

Hamas called on the entire Palestinian people “to thwart the occupation’s plans” by heading to al-Aqsa Mosque in the occupied holy city at dawn on Sunday, which falls on May 29 — the day that marks Israel's occupation of the West Bank and East al-Quds in 1967.

“We warn the leaders of the Israeli occupation against any miscalculations in Jerusalem al-Quds and al-Aqsa. We reiterate that we are proceeding with all strength, determination and certainty in defending our Jerusalem al-Quds,” the Palestinian resistance movement said in a statement on Thursday.

Hamas also hailed the sacrifices made by the Palestinian people in defense of the al-Aqsa Mosque and the occupied holy city.

Bassem Naim, head of Hamas's department of politics and foreign relations, earlier warned Israel it risks another war if it allows the regime’s flag-waving extremists to hold the Sunday's march.

"I expect that Hamas and the other factions are ready to do all they can to prevent this event, regardless of how much it costs us," Naim said. "The decision is in the hands of the Israelis and the international community. They can avoid war and escalation if they stop this mad march.”

Palestinian resistance groups have already threatened that they will not allow Israeli “provocations” to go by unanswered.

Meanwhile, the US administration recommended that Israeli officials reconsider the decision to allow the right-wing settler march of flags to take place in the occupied Old City of al-Quds.

The so-called flag march was originally scheduled to be held on May 10, but Israel's right-wing groups shelved the controversial parade after police refused to authorize it and Hamas warned of the consequences.

Last week, Israel's public security minister Omer Bar-Lev said the police would approve of holding the flag march based on recommendations from security agencies.

Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip fired a barrage of retaliatory rockets into Israel last year as the 2021 flag march got underway, triggering an 11-day war between the occupying regime and the Palestinian resistance groups.

The Israeli regime was eventually forced to announce a ceasefire, brokered by Egypt, which came into force in the early hours of May 21.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku