Five more Yemeni people have been killed and two children injured when coalition warplanes launched massive raids targeting several areas across the impoverished country.
On Wednesday morning, the Saudi-led military coalition continued its bombardment of Yemen, targeting residential neighborhoods in the capital, Sana’a.
According to Yemen’s al-Masirah news website, the aggressors launched two airstrikes against September 21 Park, northwest of the capital, while a third raid hit the Dhabwa area in the Sanhan district of Sana’a province.
A day earlier, Saudi forces carried out over 30 airstrikes on Shabwah and Ma’rib provinces, killing at least five people in the Baihan area of Shabwah.
Medical sources reported that the strike hit a passenger bus at Baihan Junction in Shabwah province, Yemen Press Agency reported.
Security sources said earlier that coalition warplanes attacked Shabwah province with some 20 raids, in particular the Osaylan district, less than 24 hours after the same district was hit with 50 air raids.
Two children were also injured in Sa’ada province on Tuesday after the explosion of a bomb left behind by the coalition’s warplanes.
The children, Saleh and Maram, were injured in Dhahyan town, Majzar district and were subsequently taken to the hospital for treatment, a local source said.
The relentless bombardment of Yemeni provinces came after Yemen’s naval forces seized an intruding United Arab Emirates-flagged cargo vessel carrying a large amount of military equipment, including armored vehicles and weapons, to be used against the Yemeni people.
Saudi Arabia and its regional allies, including the UAE, launched the war on Yemen in March 2015 with the objective of bringing former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi’s government back to power and crushing the popular Ansarullah resistance movement.
Although backed by the United States and Western powers, the Saudi-led coalition has failed to reach its goals, with the Ansarullah movement pushing ahead against Saudi-backed mercenaries and gradually liberating areas under their control, in particular in Ma’rib province.
Last year, the United Nations estimated 377,000 deaths in Yemen as a result of Saudi Arabia’s war, which is nearing its 7th anniversary, with seventy percent of the fatalities being children under five.
The Ansarullah movement, which runs the Sana’a government, frequently refers to the war as the “US-Saudi aggression” to underscore Washington’s leading role.
Notably, the Saudis had announced the beginning of the war in English from Washington DC. The announcement was followed by a statement from the White House, which pledged full support for the war.
Riyadh has received support for its aggression under three consecutive US presidents, namely Barack Obama, Donald Trump, and Joe Biden.
In October 2021, under Biden’s administration, Washington announced a $500m military contract with Riyadh which includes support for its attack helicopters that are used against Yemenis.