China has blasted the US for its decision to add dozens of its companies to a trade blacklist, saying the move violates a consensus reached between US President Joe Biden and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping.
On Wednesday, the Biden administration added a dozen Chinese companies to a trade blacklist over what Washington calls national security as well as foreign policy concerns.
The US Commerce Department added eight technology firms based in China to the list for their alleged role in assisting the Chinese military’s quantum computing efforts and acquiring or attempting “to acquire US origin-items in support of military applications.”
The Commerce Department also said concerns about China's "ability to break encryption or develop unbreakable encryption" were another reason.
On Thursday, China slammed the move, with its Foreign Ministry saying that the country "will take all necessary measures to resolutely safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese companies."
“The US Commerce Ministry publishing a new sanction list is not in line with the consensus agreed on by Chinese and US leaders,” Chinese Commerce Ministry spokeswoman Shu Jueteng said at a regular press briefing in Beijing on Thursday.
“It is harmful to both countries, the global supply chain’s security and the global economic recovery,” she added.
In addition, Foreign Ministry’s Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said the US has "repeatedly generalized national security" and had "abused state power" to suppress Chinese enterprises.
In all, 27 entities and individuals located in China, Pakistan, Russia, Japan and Singapore, were added to the US Commerce Department's trade blacklist.
Suppliers will not be able to deal with companies on the list unless they have received a special license to do so.
The latest US action on Chinese companies comes amid growing tensions between Beijing and Washington over a number issues.
Biden and XI last week held a first face-to-face meeting, with both sides stressing the need for more talks between their governments.