News   /   Yemen

Yemeni armed forces shoot down another US-made ScanEagle reconnaissance drone

This grab taken from a video released by the media bureau of Yemen’s Ansarullah resistance movement on November 10, 2021, shows the wreckage of a Saudi US-made ScanEagle spy drone intercepted and shown by Yemeni armed forces over Yemen’s central province of Ma’rib.

Yemeni forces have intercepted and shot down another US-built Boeing Insitu ScanEagle spy drone belonging to the invading Saudi-led alliance amid the Saudi intensified spying flights over Yemen’s oil-producing province of Ma’rib,

Spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, said in a post published on his Twitter page on Saturday that Yemeni air defense units used a “suitable” domestically-developed surface-to-air missile to shoot down the American unmanned aerial vehicle as it was carrying out hostile acts over the al-Jubah district.

He said further details about the operation and its footage will be released soon.

 

تمكنت دفاعاتنا الجوية بفضل الله من إسقاط طائرة تجسسية نوع (سكان إيغل Scan Eagle) أمريكية الصنع أثناء قيامها بأعمال عدائية صباح يومنا هذا في أجواء منطقة الجوبة بمحافظة مأرب.
تمت عملية إسقاط الطائرة بسلاح مناسب وسيتم بث مشاهد حطام الطائرة لاحقا إن شاء الله.

— العميد يحيى سريع (@army21ye) November 13, 2021

 

The Boeing Insitu ScanEagle is a long-endurance, low-altitude unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) built by Insitu, a subsidiary of Boeing, and is used for reconnaissance.

On November 9, the Yemeni army forces and their allies shot down a Saudi ScanEagle reconnaissance drone as the aircraft was flying over the same district of Ma’rib province.

Also, Yemeni armed forces, backed by allied fighters from the Popular Committees, shot down another Saudi-led US ScanEagle reconnaissance drone on September 27 as it was on a spying mission over the Medghal district of the same Yemeni province.

‘Al-Qaeda terrorists fighting alongside Saudi militants against Yemenis’

The leader of al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen says the group's terrorists have fought alongside Saudi-led military coalition troops and Saudi militants loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi against the Yemeni army and fighters from the popular Ansarullah resistance movement.

“Our role in fighting the Houthis is apparent, and no one can deny it,” Lebanon’s al-Mayadeen television news network quoted Khalid Saeed Batarfi, the current emir of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), as saying.

He added that the AQAP terrorists have fought within the ranks of Saudi troops and mercenaries against the Yemeni army and their allied Popular Committees on 11 fronts.

The remarks come as Yemen’s Interior Ministry has confirmed that the al-Qaeda terrorists are fighting alongside Saudi-backed militants in Yemen's strategic Ma’rib province, as Yemeni forces are pressing ahead with an offensive to liberate the city.

Yemen’s Deputy Interior Minister Major General Abdul Majeed al-Murtadha said in a statement carried by al-Masirah television network earlier this year that devices and equipment owned by al-Qaeda were found in the central province of al-Bayda after the Yemeni military managed to clear terrorists from there, which were linked to foreign intelligence services.

Murtadha said the elimination of al-Qaeda in al-Bayda by the Yemeni armed forces and allied fighters from the Popular Committees ruffled feathers in Washington, and that is why Washington has been calling on the Yemeni forces to halt their offensive on the city.  

Saudi jets bombard Ta'izz International Airport in southern Yemen overnight

Separately, Saudi war planes have launched airstrikes against the public airport in Yemen’s southern province of Ta’izz in a fresh escalation of the Riyadh regime's war on the impoverished nation. 

The Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported that the warplanes hit Ta'izz International Airport twice overnight. There were no immediate reports of casualties and the extent of damage.

Saudi military aircraft also pounded the Sirwah district in Ma’rib province on 21 occasions. They also struck the al-Jubah district in the same Yemeni district. No reports about damage and possible casualties were quickly available.

Civilians injured as Saudi forces fire on residential area in Yemen’s Sa’ada

Moreover, Saudi army forces fired indiscriminate shots towards a residential area in Yemen’s northwestern Sa’ada province, injuring at least five civilians. 

Yemen’s al-Masirah TV channel reported that the shooting targeted the border district of Monabbih on Friday. There were four African refugees among the casualties.

Saudi Arabia, backed by the US and regional allies, launched the war on Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the Hadi government back to power and crushing popular Ansarullah. The war has left hundreds of thousands of Yemenis dead, and displaced millions more. It has also destroyed Yemen’s infrastructure and spread famine and infectious diseases.

Yemeni armed forces and the Popular Committees have grown steadily in strength against the Saudi-led invaders and left Riyadh and its allies bogged down in the country.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku