News   /   Afghanistan

Daesh suspected as blast hits mosque in eastern Afghanistan

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)
People take pictures at the entrance of the Eid Gah mosque where a blast struck a day before, in Kabul on October 4, 2021. (Photo by AFP)

A blast has hit a mosque in Afghanistan's restive province of Nangarhar, leaving at least three people killed.

A hospital official said the explosion, which occurred in Spin Ghar district of Nangarhar on Friday, also wounded 15 people.

"So far three killed, 15 wounded," a doctor at the local hospital told AFP.

"I can confirm a blast during Friday prayers inside a mosque in Spin Ghar district. There are casualties and fatalities," AFP cited a Taliban official as saying.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast.

In recent years, the Daesh terrorist group, a rival to the Taliban, has established a foothold in eastern and northern Afghanistan, particularly in Nangarhar, which is considered as the heartland of Afghanistan's Takfiri group. It has targeted Shia mosques in a series of terrorist bombings which have killed scores of worshipers.  

Some believe the United States has hatched a plot to use Daesh to make Afghanistan unsafe for its people and neighbors.

Earlier this month, Daesh claimed responsibility for the deadly bombing attack on a military hospital in the Afghan capital of Kabul that left at least 25 people dead and more than twice as many injured.

The Taliban took power in Afghanistan in mid-August, as the US was in the middle of a chaotic troop withdrawal from the country. The group announced the formation of a caretaker government on September 7. 

'UK military officers hid evidence of extrajudicial killings'

A UK court has recently heard that top military officers hid evidence that British Special Air Service (SAS) forces were killing detainees during the US-led war in Afghanistan.

The case was brought by Saifullah Yar, a man who says four members of his family were murdered in February 2011.

Richard Hermer QC, representing Yar, told the high court that emails released by the ministry of defense revealed “senior officers were raising concern about the way the SAS was operating”, and that there were “implausible explanations that Afghans were shot and killed after going to their homes and returning with weapons”.

The court is considering whether the reports were probed properly by the armed forces.

Yar’s lawyers were asking the court to order the defense secretary, Ben Wallace, to release further official documents before a full judicial review hearing.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku