A senior official of Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah says its rocket attack on the Israeli positions in occupied Shebaa Farms showed that it does not stay silent in the face of the regime’s acts of aggression against Lebanon.
Hezbollah’s rocket attack on the Israeli positions this morning was an appropriate response to the regime’s aggression on Lebanon the day before, Hezbollah Deputy Secretary General Sheikh Naim Qassem told Lebanon's al Mayadeen television on Friday.
"The Israeli occupation must understand that Lebanon is not an open arena for settling scores and not a place to test its capabilities and provoke or take measures for a project it had in mind,” Qassem added.
Hezbollah is committed to the principle that any aggression on Lebanon will be met with a proper response and for this reason it responded to the aggressive enemy with rockets.
"Israel must understand that it must remain deterred, or else we will be ready to respond," the senior Hezbollah official added.
He noted that "the whole world witnessed” Hezbollah’s response to Israel’s aggression, saying, “We cannot remain silent about it."
He expressed Hezbollah’s constant readiness to face any development or aggression by the Israeli regime.
Qassem said Hezbollah always takes precautions, adding, “We do not believe that the situation will escalate."
In a statement, Hezbollah said it hit “open fields” near Israeli positions at 11:15 a.m. local time Friday, using "dozens" of 122-caliber rockets.
Al-Mayadeen said at least 20 rockets were fired at Israel's military positions. Al-Minar TV said a number of the rockets targeted the Douf military base.
Israeli media said residents of settlements in the north of the occupied territories had been asked to stay in homes.
Following the retaliatory rocket attack, Israeli prime minister Naftali Bennett and the regime’s minister of military affairs Benny Gantz held an emergency session amid reports of a massive number of sorties conducted by Israeli warplanes over southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah rejects reports about attack on its positions
But in a statement, Hezbollah rejected media reports claiming that Israel launched at least two airstrikes on Lebanon, saying the Zionist enemy has carried out no aerial or artillery aggression on the positions from which rockets were fired Friday.