The US government has for the third time blocked a joint statement from the UN Security Council, which called for an immediate ceasefire and cessation of murderous attacks by the Israeli regime in Palestine, according to media reports.
The joint statement was introduced by Norway, Tunisia and China following an emergency session of the world body on Monday, but the US again vetoed it.
The statement “expressed [the council’s] grave concern regarding the crisis related to Gaza and the loss of civilian lives and casualties, and called for de-escalation of the situation, cessation of violence and respect for international humanitarian law, including the protection of civilians, especially children.”
“The Members of the Security Council emphasized that civilian and humanitarian facilities, including those of the UN, must be respected and protected, called on all parties to act consistently with this principle and stressed the need for immediate provision of humanitarian assistance to the Palestinian civilian population in Gaza,” the statement reads.
It further states that the members of the UN Security Council “welcome all efforts to de-escalate and to reach a ceasefire agreement, including from regional states and the Middle East Quartet, and urged all actors to support these efforts”.
The statement also takes note of recent Israeli regime attacks at the Al-Aqsa Mosque, upholding “the right of Muslim worshippers to pray in peace at Al-Aqsa mosque.”
The members also expressed concern over the forcible and illegal eviction of Palestinian families in the East Jerusalem neighborhoods of Sheikh Jarrah and Silwan, “voicing opposition to unilateral actions, which will only escalate the already tense environment.”
According to reports, 14 of the 15 UN Security Council members had pushed for a joint statement, which requires unanimous approval, after closed emergency meetings on Monday and Wednesday.
However, they faced stiff opposition from the US government, which seeks to protect the apartheid regime from further humiliation at the international level.
When the UN Security Council members moved to hold another meeting last week, the US diplomats again swung in action, saying it preferred to wait until Tuesday.
Later, under tremendous pressure, the US mission at the UN agreed to move up the meeting to Sunday, according to reports.
During the Monday’s session, envoys representing 14 Security Council member states, as well as guest speakers from Jordan and Egypt, denounced the Israeli strikes in Gaza that have resulted in close to 200 civilian casualties so far and massive displacement of people.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi slammed the US for twice blocking a joint statement from the UN Security Council in the past week.
“China has been working with relevant countries on a security council press statement. Regrettably, due to the obstruction of one country, the Security Council hasn’t been able to speak as one voice,” Wang said.
Pertinently, Biden administration has been resisting pressure at home to take a tougher stance over Israeli regime's relentless attacks on Palestinian civlians, with people taking to streets and many lawmakers issuing statements in favor of Palestinians.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) on Saturday denounced the Biden administration’s support of Israeli bombing of “innocent men, women and children in Gaza,” saying it will boycott the White House’s annual Eid celebration.
CAIR, a prominent American Muslim organization, said it was joining other groups in the boycott over the White House’s “incredibly disappointing and deeply disturbing” response to the violence.
On Monday, Biden administration approved the potential sale of $735 million in precision-guided weapons to the Israeli regime, a move that is likely to further fan the flames of war in the Middle East region.