Azerbaijani says it lost more than 2,800 troops during the 44-day war with neighboring Armenia over the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region.
In a statement released on Tuesday, the Azeri Defense Ministry said that the army had lost at least 2,855 soldiers during the war with Armenia over the region.
It updated the death toll from the war after learning of some funerals and the identities of the deceased soldiers.
The ministry added that at least 50 Azerbaijani troopers were also still missing.
Baku had previously provided a slightly lower death toll from the war.
Armenia has announced that 2,317 of its troops were killed during the war, which also killed more than 90 Azerbaijani and 50 Armenian civilians.
Karabakh is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, but it has been occupied by ethnic Armenian separatists backed by Armenia since 1992 when they broke from Azerbaijan in a war that killed some 30,000 people.
The conflict erupted on September 27 last year and ended on November 10 with a Russian-brokered truce.
As part of the truce agreement, Armenia returned swathes of territory it had occupied for decades to Azeri control.
The agreement was signed after the Azerbaijani army overwhelmed Armenian forces and threatened to advance on Karabakh’s main city of Khankendi, which Armenians call Stepanakert after a 19th-century Bolshevik militant.
The truce, which was warmly welcomed as a victory in Azerbaijan, has prompted anger in Armenia, with protesters demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan.
Also under the ceasefire, nearly 2,000 Russian peacekeepers have been stationed along the Lachin corridor in Azerbaijan, a 60-kilometer-long route that links Khankendi to Armenia.
Once the handover of the occupied territories is complete, the next phase of the ceasefire would include the withdrawal of Armenian forces and separatists from Karabakh and the return of refugees to their homes, where Azerbaijanis and Armenians are about to live together under the suzerainty of Baku.