Dozens of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, have been killed and scores of others sustained injuries when Yemeni army forces and their allies fired a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at their camp in Saudi Arabia’s southern province of Najran.
The spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, said on Wednesday afternoon that Yemeni missile defense units launched a Badr-F missile at a position of Saudi mercenaries in Rajla area of the region, located 844 kilometers (524 miles) south of the capital Riyadh.
He added that the missile hit the designated target with great precision, leaving dozens of Saudi-paid militiamen killed and injured.
Ambulances transported injured Saudi soldiers and mercenaries to a number of hospitals in the region to receive medical treatment.
Earlier in the day, several civilians lost their lives when artillery rounds and mortar shells launched by Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi rained down on several residential buildings in the Qa'atabah district of Yemen’s southwestern province of Dhale.
Heavy clashes between UAE mercenaries and Saudi-paid militiamen in Aden
Meanwhile, fierce exchanges of gunfire have broken out between militiamen backed by the United Arab Emirates and Saudi-sponsored forces in Yemen’s southern coastal province of Aden.
Arabic-language al-Khaleej Online news website reported that UAE-backed members of the so-called Southern Transitional Council launched an attack against Saudi-sponsored militiamen near al-Maashiq Palace in Aden.
The report added that the assault triggered heavy clashes, which left a number of people from both sides killed and injured in the process.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the government of Hadi back to power and crushing Houthi Ansarullah movement.
The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the Saudi-led war has claimed the lives of over 60,000 Yemenis since January 2016.
The war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN says over 24 million Yemenis are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger.