News   /   Politics

Iran condemns terrorist attack in Kazakhstan’s Aktobe

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)
People carry the coffin of one of the victims of a recent deadly terrorist attack in Aktobe, Kazakhstan, June 8, 2016. ©Reuters

Iran has condemned a recent deadly terrorist attack in the Kazakh city of Aktobe, expressing sympathy with Kazakhstan's government, nation and the bereaved.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari said on Thursday that the incident indicates the vulnerability of Central Asia to such terrorist activities.

The attack in Aktobe “shows the necessity for cooperation among regional countries to counter extremism and its intellectual and political origins in a comprehensive and integrated [way].”

On June 5, unidentified gunmen attacked two gun shops and a military unit in Aktobe, killing seven people and injuring 37 others, most of them servicemen.

Thirteen assailants were killed, nine were arrested in a counter-terror operation in the city, with six criminals still at large.

A woman places flowers as Kazakh Interior Ministry members stand guard outside a firearms shop, which was a target of a recent terrorist attack in Aktobe, Kazakhstan, June 8, 2016. ©Reuters

A red terrorist threat level was put in place in Aktobe while a moderate yellow one was declared elsewhere across the country for 40 days.

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev said on Wednesday that the Aktobe attacks had been organized by supporters of radical, pseudo-religious teachings who were instructed from abroad. He vowed to use the toughest measures to "suppress extremists and terrorists."


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku