1. The Leader of Iran’s Islamic Revolution slams the execution of Saudi Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr. Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei described the killing as a political mistake, saying the Saudi rulers should await divine retribution for their crime. Ayatollah Khamenei urged the world to adopt a responsible approach towards the issue.
2. Iraqi top Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has also condemned the execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr. Ayatollah Sistani described the killing as unjust aggression. Iraq’s political leadership has already condemned the act, saying it was intended to fuel the Shia-Sunni strife and set the region on fire.
3. Saudi Arabia’s execution of top Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr has sparked public protests in the world, and across the Muslim community in particular. UN chief Ban Ki-moon has also expressed concern over the nature of the charges leveled against Sheikh Nimr and the fairness of the process.
4. Reports say 14,000 Israelis forced their way into the al-Aqsa Mosque in the occupied Jerusalem al-Quds in 2015. Over 12,000 of them were reportedly extremist settlers. Palestinian sources say the settlers were usually escorted by soldiers during their visits, which triggered clashes between Palestinian worshippers and Israeli forces.
5. The Iraqi army continues operations to push Daesh terrorists out of Ramadi. They took control of the capital of Anbar province a week ago and are now fighting to fully liberate it. Government troops have tightened the noose around the terrorists and captured dozens who were trying to flee Ramadi.
6. Hundreds of protesters have rallied in the German capital Berlin against Turkey's treatment of the Kurdish community. They expressed solidarity with the Kurdish minority in Turkey and condemned President Rejeb Tayyip Erdogan for his policies towards them.
7. An Indian soldier has been injured in an explosion at an air force base in the western Punjab province. Gunshots were reportedly heard following the blast early on Sunday. Security officials say the incident occurred during a combing operation. The base was also attacked by four gunmen on Saturday.
8. Heavy fog has forced the closure of major highways around the Chinese capital Beijing and the neighboring Tianjin Municipality. The Beijing Meteorological Station has warned that the fog would turn into smog, due to rising temperatures and unfavorable air diffusion conditions. The public has been warned to take protective measures.