Afghan officials say at least 15 people have been killed in clashes between members of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group and Taliban militants in the country’s eastern province of Nangarhar.
Attaullah Khogyani, the spokesman for the provincial governor, said on Wednesday that the two sides have been engaged in heavy exchanges of gunfire in the Chaparhar district of the beleaguered province, east of the capital, Kabul, over the past two days.
He added that the clashes have claimed the lives of four Daesh terrorists and 11 Taliban members. Eleven Daesh militants and 25 Taliban militants have been injured.
Khogyani said two civilians have also sustained gunshot wounds.
On December 6, six Daesh terrorists were killed when Afghan fighter jets launched an operation in the Achin district of Nangarhar. Earlier in the day, over 30 Daesh terrorists were killed and four others injured during an Afghan army ground offensive in the same district.
Haji Ghalib Mujahid, the governor of Achin, said early last month that 32 Daesh terrorists had been slain in the area during a counter-terror operation. Ghalib said a radio base used by Daesh in Afghanistan to be in touch with fellow militants in Iraq and neighboring Syria was also destroyed in the operation.
Nangarhar has been witnessing a rise in the number of Daesh terrorists in some of its districts in recent months.
On June 16, the Afghan Taliban militant group warned the so-called leader of Daesh, Ibrahim al-Samarrai, also known as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, against “waging a parallel insurgency in Afghanistan.”