News   /   Palestine

Israelis shoot Palestinian police chief, daughter in WB

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)
Maram al-Qaddumi’s head is bleeding after being shot by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank town of Kafr Qaddum. (Photo by Ma’an)

Israeli forces have shot and wounded the Nablus police chief and his three-year-old daughter in the occupied West Bank, an official says.

Murad Ishteiwi, a senior official with the Palestinian Fatah movement, told the Ma’an news agency that Colonel Abd al-Latif al-Qaddumi and her daughter Maram sustained injuries after being shot by rubber-coated steel bullets during a Friday assault by Israeli soldiers in the town of Kafr Qaddum, near the occupied West Bank city of Qalqilya.

Ishteiwi said that the child was directly shot in the head while she was standing on a balcony in her home as Israeli forces raided the town to prevent the weekly Kafr Qaddum march.

Maram’s father attempted to take her to the hospital with his car, but Israeli forces opened fire and wounded him in the head, the official added. However, their injuries have been diagnosed as moderate.

Israeli forces regularly storm Palestinian villages, farms, and houses, inflicting physical damage and psychological trauma.

International organizations and human rights groups say the Tel Aviv regime continues to enforce restrictions on the freedom of movement of Palestinians in the West Bank and other occupied territories.

An average of 39 Palestinians have reportedly been being hurt a week by Israeli forces since the beginning of 2015.


Israeli attack on reporters

In another development on Friday, Israeli soldiers attacked two AFP journalists in the occupied West Bank and destroyed their equipment.

Thomas Cox, AFP’s bureau chief, said Andrea Bernardi and Abbas Momani were assaulted in the town of Beit Furik while they were covering a protest following the funeral of a Palestinian man who had died after being shot by Israelis a week earlier.

The reporters were walking down the road towards the demonstration before having their equipment seized and smashed, Cox said, adding, “But the soldiers came and at this moment took the stills camera and took everything in the photographer’s pocket – batteries, memory cards. Andrea then came back to recover his destroyed camera. At this point a soldier jumped on him and put a pistol on his face.”

The pair came under attack despite wearing protective helmets and body armors marked “Press.”

Bernardi said that a soldier forced him to the ground and pressed his knee to his chest until he managed to show his press card.

Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

Press TV News Roku