Tens of thousands of Yemenis have taken to the streets in the capital, Sana’a, to denounce Saudi Arabia’s ongoing attacks on their country.
Yemen’s al-Masirah TV reported Friday that Yemenis from all walks of life marched toward the central square in Sana’a while they condemned Saudi Arabia’s targeting of civilians across Yemen.
The demonstrators chanted slogans against the ruling Saudi royal family and urged the international organizations to break their silence on the continued Saudi aggression.
The protesters said they will support “strategic decisions” by the Houthi Ansarullah movement in the face of Riyadh’s breach of repeated agreements on establishing a ceasefire.
Senior members of the Ansarullah movement addressed the demonstrators, appreciating them for their steadfastness in the face of the Saudi aggression.
One of the Ansarullah members said the entire Saudi project for launching the airstrikes on Yemen has been a “total failure,” adding that the Yemeni nation will not bow to the pressure. He said Yemeni people are thankful to some Arab governments, including Iraq, Syria, Tunisia and Lebanon, and other “free nations” for supporting Yemen through such hard times.
He also urged Russia to continue to support the Yemeni nation’s struggle for gaining independence and its emancipation from the Saudi hegemony.
Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against Yemen on March 26, without a UN mandate, in a bid to undermine Ansarullah and to restore power to fugitive former President Abd rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
Rupert Colville, the spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said on July 21 that at least 1,693 civilians had been killed and 3,829 others injured in the Arab country since March 26. However, local sources say over 4,500 people have lost their lives.