News   /   Palestine   /   Lebanon

Commander of Israel’s 401st Armoured Brigade seriously injured in Hezbollah drone operation

Commander of the 401st Armoured Brigade of the Israeli military was seriously wounded in a Hezbollah drone strike against the occupation forces' positions in southern Lebanon on May 20, 2926. (Illustrative photo)

The commander of the 401st Armoured Brigade of the Israeli military has been seriously injured in a drone operation conducted by Hezbollah resistance fighters against the occupation forces’ positions in southern Lebanon.

According to the Hebrew-language Walla News website, Colonel Meir Biderman, 41, sustained grave wounds in the attack on Wednesday, and was shifted to hospital.

Several Israeli troops were wounded in the attack as well.

Local sources reported that Hezbollah's First-Person View (FPV) drone went off inside a building, where the Israeli troops had holed up.

The FPV drones are small, low-cost, explosive-laden “kamikaze” drones controlled by an operator wearing goggles. Their most critical feature is a physical fiber-optic cable (between 10 and 30 kilometers long) that connects the drone to the controller. Because this cable transmits video and commands without any wireless signal, the drones are effectively resistant to jamming by electronic warfare systems, allowing Hezbollah to bypass the Israeli military's advanced defense technologies.

On Tuesday, one Israeli officer died and several soldiers were injured as Hezbollah carried out  string of operations, targeting the Tel Aviv regime's military positions and equipment inside Lebanese territory.

The Israeli army announced in a statement that one of its officers had been killed in south Lebanon, without providing further details.

This is while the Hebrew-language Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper reported that the officer was killed in an exchange of fire with a Hezbollah fighter in the village of Qawzah, located north of the town of Aita al-Shaab in southern Lebanon.

The newspaper added that several Israeli soldiers were also wounded during the clash, without specifying the number.

Meanwhile, seven people were martyred and two others sustained injuries in fresh Israeli strikes against southern Lebanon on Wednesday.

According to Lebanon's official National News Agency (NNA), Israeli warplanes bombarded the al-Baraka neighborhood in the town of Doueir, killing five people and injuring two others.

The report added that several houses were leveled to the ground in the attack.

Another Israeli aerial raid killed two more people near a hospital in the town of Tebrine, local sources said.

The fresh wave of Israeli airstrikes came only a few hours after at least 16 people were martyred in the regime's attacks across southern Lebanon on Tuesday.

The Lebanese Ministry of Public Health said three women and three children were among the victims.

The Israeli military continues its attacks across Lebanon despite a US-brokered ceasefire agreement that was announced on April 17, and later extended until the beginning of July.

Since March 2, Israel has carried out a large-scale offensive against Lebanon that has killed at least 3,040 people and wounded over 9,300 others.

Israeli attacks have also displaced more than 1.6 million people, which constitutes for about one-fifth of the country's population, according to Lebanese officials.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE