News   /   Politics   /   Russia

Iran ‘serious’ on achieving a ‘fair’ deal with US, Araghchi tells Lavrov

The combo photo shows Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi says Tehran is serious on reaching a “fair and balanced” deal through negotiations with the United States.

Araghchi made the remark in a telephone conversation with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Friday, a few days after Iranian and American negotiators held indirect talks in the Swiss city of Geneva over Tehran's nuclear program.

He said Iran is serious in advancing the talks with the US to achieve a fair and balanced agreement, while observing Iran's rights and interests in accordance with the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

Iran and the US held the second round of indirect nuclear negotiations at the Omani consulate general in Geneva on Tuesday. As in the previous round in the Omani capital of Muscat, the agenda of the talks focused primarily on the nuclear issue and the lifting of illegal US sanctions.

Following the talks, the Iranian foreign minister said the two sides agreed on a set of guiding principles to clear the path for future talks. 

During the phone call, Araghchi commended Russia’s constructive and positive stance at international circles and informed his Russian counterpart of the latest developments regarding nuclear talks between Iran and the US.

In a statement on Friday, the Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed the phone talks between Araghchi and Lavrov, at the initiative of the Iranian side, saying the top diplomats took into account the “outcomes of the indirect US-Iranian contacts” in Geneva.

According to the statement, Lavrov reiterated Russia’s support for the negotiation process aimed at finding fair political and diplomatic solutions while respecting Iran's legitimate rights, in accordance with the principles of the NPT.

The Iranian and Russian foreign ministers also discussed certain issues on the bilateral agenda of mutual interest, the statement added.

In an interview with Saudi Arabia's al-Arabiya television aired on Wednesday, Lavrov warned that any new US strike on Iran is “playing with fire” and will have “serious consequences.”

“From what we can judge, there were real risks of a nuclear incident… Everyone understands this is playing with fire,” the top Russian diplomat emphasized.

The US began its war rhetoric against Iran after recent economic protests in the country, which were hijacked by foreign spy agencies and turned violent. 

Since then, the US president has kept threatening military action, deploying two carrier groups and dozens of fighter jets, bombers and refueling aircraft to regional waters near Iran.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku