Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says the next steps for a possible agreement for restoration of the 2015 nuclear deal can be taken if Tehran’s red lines are respected and economic benefits guaranteed.
“We have conveyed our viewpoints through the European Union’s representative to other parties, including the United States, and are awaiting a response,” the Iranian top diplomat said on Wednesday.
“We have to make sure that all of our red lines have been taken into consideration, and that we can gain complete economic benefits from the agreement that is before us,” he added.
“Should we reach this point, then other stages may be discussed,” noted the official.
The United States left the deal in 2018 and returned the sanctions that the agreement had lifted.
The Islamic Republic and the remaining parties to the deal, known as the JCPOA, have been holding talks in the Austrian capital of Vienna since last year to examine the potential of the deal’s revival and removal of the sanctions.
Earlier this month, the European Union—which has been acting as the negotiations’ coordinator—came up with a revised version of the deal, which apparently contained a number of concessions in favor of the Islamic Republic.
Late on Monday, Iran said it had provided the EU with its final conclusion on the talks, emphasizing that it was now the US’s turn to show realism and flexibility if it really wanted a final agreement to be reached.
On Tuesday, the EU confirmed that it had received Iran's response, saying the bloc was "studying" the reply with parties to the deal and the United States.