Palestinian resistance groups based in the besieged Gaza Strip have vowed a “harsh” response to any Israeli military escalation in the enclave or elsewhere across the occupied territories.
In a joint statement signed on Sunday, a number of Palestinian factions, including Hamas, which rules Gaza, and the Islamic Jihad movement, called for mobilizing all efforts “to boost the resistance against the occupying Israeli regime.”
“There will be no security or stability for the occupation until our people gain their freedom,” the statement said. "Any criminal act by the occupying regime will be met with a more powerful and harsher resistance."
“Any policy of persecution, detention and assassination already proved failure and made our people more determined to continue their resistance,” the factions said following their meeting in Gaza.
In Israel’s bombing campaign on Gaza last year, at least 260 Palestinians, including over 60 children, were killed in a time span of 11 days that began on May 10. The Gaza-based resistance movements retaliated. The regime was eventually forced to announce a ceasefire, brokered by Egypt, which came into force in the early hours of May 21.
On Saturday, Israeli forces shot dead three Palestinians in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin.
The Al-Quds Brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Jihad identified the victims as its members, whose names were Saeb Abhera, 30, Khalil Tawalbeh, 24, and Saif Abu Libdeh, 25.
The Palestinian Authority (PA) denounced the Israeli regime over its recent targeted killing of the three young Palestinians. Nabil Abu Rudeineh, the spokesman for the PA’s President Mahmoud Abbas, labeled the assassinations “a threat and a flagrant challenge to international legitimacy and international law.”
The PA’s Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh joined the chorus of condemnation, calling the killings “extrajudicial murder” and a “horrific crime.”