News   /   Afghanistan

Mass killing reports in Panjshir fabricated ‘by enemy’, provincial spokesman tells Press TV

Taliban members stand guard at the entrance gate of Panjshir province, September 15, 2021. (Photo by AFP)

An Afghan official has dismissed reports of mass killings in Panjshir province, describing them as fabricated by the enemy.

Molavi Nasrallah, the provincial spokesman, told Press TV on Friday that “security has taken hold in Panjshir.”

He reassured that “people of Panjshir are safe and secure.”

“No mass killing has taken place in any part of Panjshir,” he said. “We will not allow any group to kill people in Panjshir.”

The Taliban have been accused of killing 20 civilians in the mountainous province.

Nasrallah noted that “the Islamic government of Afghanistan is here to ensure security.” 

The Taliban said earlier this month they were in full control of Panjshir, not least the strategic Panjshir Valley, which was the last holdout for the forces opposing the rule of the Taliban.

The Taliban’s first regime was unable to control the valley when it ruled Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001.

On August 15, the Taliban returned to power again in the midst of the United States’ chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan. They announced the formation of the caretaker government earlier this month.

But anti-Taliban fighters of Afghanistan's National Resistance Front (NRF) in Panjshir say the interim government is “illegitimate.”

The NRF remains defiant despite losing control of the valley.

Ahmad Massoud, the son of the late anti-Taliban commander Ahmad Shah Massoud, has been leading the armed struggle against the Taliban rule in Panjshir.

Read more:


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

www.presstv.tv

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku