The World Bank says it has allocated 150 million dollars in what it described as humanitarian aid to Yemen, which has been the target of a brutal Saudi-led war for more than six years.
The international financial institution said in a statement on Wednesday that the fund would go toward providing essential health and nutrition services to 3.65 million Yemenis, water and sanitation services for another 850,000, and training 3,000 health workers.
It said the death toll from the war had reached 233,000 by the end of last year, “with half the deaths caused by a lack of food or access to health care, as well as by the lack of basic infrastructure to provide these services.”
“Out of a total population of about 29 million, about 20 million Yemenis are food insecure and at risk of malnutrition, with two-thirds unable to afford enough food and water and sanitation services,” the World Bank said.
“Over four million people have fled their homes,” it added.
Currently, some 80 percent of the Yemeni people are dependent on aid, in what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies — including the United Arab Emirates (UAE) — launched a brutal war against Yemen in March 2015 to eliminate Ansarullah and restore the former regime of Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi to power.
Yemeni armed forces have, however, gone from strength to strength against the Saudi-led invaders, and left Riyadh and its allies bogged down in the country.
The Saudi-led military aggression has left hundreds of thousands of Yemenis dead, and displaced millions of people. The Saudi war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories.
Spokesman for the Health Ministry in Yemen’s National Salvation Government Dr. Najeeb Khalil al-Qabati told Press TV in March that more than 500 medical facilities have been destroyed as a result of attacks by the Saudi-led coalition.