At least 22 Palestinians have been wounded in an overnight raid by Israeli forces in the occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds, as tensions flare over a court ruling to evict Palestinian families from the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood.
In a statement on Thursday, the Red Crescent said at least 22 Palestinians sustained injuries overnight after Israeli troops attacked their protest rally over the forcible eviction.
Israeli forces have been demolishing Palestinian homes and structures in Sheikh Jarrah, which is situated in the vicinity of the walled Old City, for the construction of a new settlement outpost.
Under an Israeli court ruling, some 28 Palestinian families face the threat of forceful eviction from the neighborhood.
Palestinian protests, which began late Wednesday, continued into the early hours of Thursday and more rallies were expected on Thursday evening.
Israeli police said they had already arrested at least 11 Palestinians in the latest unrest in the area.
UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Tor Wennesland said the world body is concerned over the latest developments related to the eviction of desperate Palestinian families in the neighborhood, stressing that the latest developments “are also very worrying.”
“I urge Israel to cease demolitions and evictions, in line with its obligations under international humanitarian law,” he said in a statement.
The Palestinian Foreign Ministry on Tuesday asked the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate the forced relocation of Palestinians from Sheikh Jarrah. Hamas has already warned Israel against the move.
On Tuesday, the military wing of Hamas said Israel would “pay a heavy price” if it did not stop aggression against Palestinians in Sheikh Jarrah.
Israel occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds, the West Bank, and the Gaza Strip during the Six-Day War in 1967. It later had to withdraw from Gaza but has been occupying the other territories since.