An Afghan Peace Ministry official has survived a bomb blast in the capital Kabul with light injuries, police say, the latest in a series of attacks on civilian targets.
Kabul police said the blast targeted on Monday an armored vehicle that belonged to Khushnood Nabizada, head of the office of the state minister for peace affairs. The incident left no casualties.
Nabizada and two of his children were in the vehicle when the blast happened, but no one including his driver was hurt, according to Afghanistan's Tolo News.
"The current level of violence amidst the peace efforts is not acceptable for the people of Afghanistan,” said Sayed Sadat Mansoor Naderi, the Afghan state minister for peace affairs.
“We call on the international community and the supporters of the peace process to continue their support for an end in violence in the country."
So far, no group or individual has claimed responsibility for the blast.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) condemned the attack on Twitter, saying, "Today's targeted attack in Kabul against a senior official involved in the peace process is another deplorable incident, akin to an attack on the peace process itself.”
In a separate attack in Kabul on Monday, a bomb attached to an army vehicle in a western district of the city killed one officer and a civilian, police said.
The Afghan government seeks to find a way to end years of bloodshed in the country. It has been in negotiations with the Taliban since September 2020.
Washington reached a deal of its own with the Taliban in February that year on the withdrawal of the remaining 12,000 US troops from Afghanistan in exchange for the Taliban halting their attacks on international forces.
The deal was supposed to reduce the bloodshed, but insecurity and violence continue to take a heavy toll across the country.
Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses: