North Korea has reportedly fired two “unidentified projectiles” seawards, while warning that it could take a “new road” if the South and the United States keep militarizing the Korean Peninsula.
The launches took place from the North’s South Hwanghae Province into the waters lying to the country’s east early on Tuesday, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff was cited by Reuters as saying.
Pyongyang has undertaken several such measures since June 30, when Donald Trump made an unannounced visit to the North, met with its leader Kim Jong-Un, and became the first American president to take several steps beyond the Demilitarization Zone into the country.
The visit marked the third time the two were meeting following two unsuccessful talks aimed at Pyongyang’s potential denuclearization that started off last year at Washington’s initiative.
A North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said in a statement released through state news agency KCNA that the most recent launches had been triggered by arrival of new US-made F-35A stealth warplanes in South Korea, the visit of an American nuclear-powered submarine to a South Korean port, and US tests of ballistic missiles, among other things.
Such activities have forced the North to continue its own weapons development, the source added, noting Pyongyang "will be compelled to seek a new road as we have already indicated" if South Korea and the United States continue with their hostile military moves,.
"The US and South Korean authorities remain outwardly talkative about dialog," the spokesman said. "But when they sit back, they sharpen a sword to do us harm."
Trump has played down Pyongyang’s recent tests by saying they had not broken any agreement he had with Kim. Observers, however, say the North’s acts of military adventurism that have come since Trump and Kim’s last visit are meant to make Washington engage more deeply with Pyongyang and give more concessions.