US President Donald Trump has reportedly asked White House chief of staff John Kelly to remain in his post through the 2020 presidential election.
Kelly said on Tuesday that he had accepted Trump’s request to stay in his job until the end of the next presidential election, according to an unnamed White House official, putting to rest months of speculation that the retired military general would be the next to leave the US administration due to tensions with the president.
The announcement came after Kelly had celebrated his first anniversary as chief of staff a day earlier, with Trump marking the occasion on Twitter by posting a photo of the two men smiling and standing beside one another.
"One year today, right? He became my chief of staff, General Kelly," Trump said during a ceremony in the Oval Office.
The 68-year-old has been credited with bringing some measure of order and stability to a White House that has often been chaotic.
Kelly had been widely expected to leave the post sometime this summer over occasional rows with Trump and his influential loyalists as he had made it more difficult for people inside and outside the White House to gain access to the president.
The US president has blasted the restrictions Kelly has placed on gaining access to him and had considered replacing Kelly with Mick Mulvaney, the White House budget director, or Nick Ayers, the chief of staff to Vice President Mike Pence.
The White House has firmly denied the replacement report.