The US military’s refusal to coordinate its operations in Syria with Russia and Syria shows that the recent US-led attack on Syrian government forces was intentional, says an analyst in Washington.
Wayne Madsen, an author and investigative journalist, made the comments on Sunday, a day after 62 Syrian soldiers were killed by US-led coalition jets on army positions near Dayr al-Zawr military airport.
The news first came in a statement by the Russian army and was later confirmed by the Pentagon.
The US military's Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a statement following the attack that “coalition forces believed they were striking a Daesh fighting position,” and the strike was called off upon notice by Russian officials.
However, before the strike was called off, US forces had already destroyed at least six vehicles and their accompanying Syrian personnel.
“It is very clear that the United States is intending to attack Syrian government forces,” Madsen told Press TV.
He blamed the attack on the US military's refusal to coordinate attacks with Russian forces, who have been pounding Daesh (ISIL) positions inside Syria since September of last year, on a request from Damascus.
“I would blame squarely [US] Defense Secretary [Ashton] Carter for this war atrocity,” Madsen said, adding that Carter wants to let Takfiri terrorists “run amok.”
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 80 soldiers were killed in the attacks.
The Syrian General Command referred to the incident as a “serious and blatant aggression” against the Syrian army, adding that it was also “conclusive evidence" that the US-led coalition is supporting Daesh militants.
Immediately after the US attack, Daesh launched a major offensive in the region and briefly took control of it before Syrian forces managed to retake it.
Russia blasted the attacks, with Vitaly Churkin, Moscow’s ambassador to the UN, saying that the US airstrikes did not seem to be a mistake.