News   /   Politics

Iran dismisses US’ allegations on Iran's role in region

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian

A top Iranian diplomat has dismissed claims by the US State Department about the Islamic Republic’s role in regional developments, saying such allegations are untrue and interfering.

The Islamic Republic has proved that its approach to regional developments is based on the most constructive intentions, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told reporters on Saturday.

Addressing a daily press briefing in Washington on Friday, Mark Toner, US State Department's deputy spokesperson, claimed that said US Secretary of State John Kerry and Abdullah Bin Zayed, the foreign minister of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), had agreed in a meeting on the same day on the need to continue working together to counter Iran’s “destabilizing” activities in the region.

Amir-Abdollahian called on the UAE officials to adopt an approach based on friendship and good neighborliness instead of leveling unfounded allegations against Iran.

“Using the opportunity provided by the nuclear agreement (between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries), the United Arab Emirates can strengthen its active and constructive role for the full expansion of trade and economic cooperation with Iran,” the Iranian diplomat added.

Saudi campaign against Yemen

The Iranian official also commented on the Saudi air campaign against Yemen and urged the UAE to send medicine and food for the oppressed people of Yemen.

Instead of adopting a military approach to Yemen, the UAE should help strengthen the political process in Yemen and across the region, the Iranian official said.

Saudi Arabia began its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.

The conflict has so far left about 5,200 people dead and thousands of others wounded, the UN says. Local Yemeni sources, however, say the fatality figure is much higher.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku