News   /   More   /   Notification

Yemeni forces kill 5 Bahraini, 16 Saudi, 45 UAE troops

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)
Saudi and Bahraini troops meet on the Yemeni border (file photo)

Five Bahraini military personnel have been killed in southern Saudi Arabia, where they had been deployed to contribute to Riyadh's deadly aggression against Yemen.

Bahrain News Agency (BNA) reported the deaths on Friday but did not specify where on the Saudi border the soldiers had been killed.

The General Headquarters of the Bahrain Defense Force (BDF) confirmed the deaths of the five non-commissioned officers.

Those killed "are Sergeant-Major Mohammed Nabil Hamad, First-Sergeant Mohammed Hafedh Yunis, First-Sergeant Abdul-Qadir Hassan Al-Alas, First-Sergeant Hassan Eqbal Mohammed and Corporal Abdul-Moneim Ali Hussain," reported BNA quoting BDF.

Earlier on Friday, the United Arab Emirates state news agency WAM had announced the death of 22 soldiers from the UAE in Yemen while taking part in the Saudi aggression against Yemen. The news agency later put the death toll at 45, saying 23 forces had succumbed to their injuries.

The Emirati troops were killed in an arms depot blast at a military base in Safer in oil-rich Marib Province, 250 kilometers (150 miles) east of the capital Sana'a, a source at the scene said. The Ansarullah fighters said the blast was caused by a rocket attack.

In a separate attack, at least 16 Saudi soldiers were killed in an ambush by Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah fighters and their allied army units near the Mash’al base in Saudi Arabia’s Jizan region.

On March 26, Saudi Arabia spearheaded a deadly aggression against Yemen with cooperation from Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar and several other countries – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to Yemen’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.

The conflict has so far left about 4,500 people dead and more than 22,000 others wounded, the UN says. Local Yemeni sources, however, say the fatality figure is much higher.

The UN has repeatedly voiced concern over the rising number of civilian casualties in the Saudi military aggression against the impoverished Arab country.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku