The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has called on the United Nations Security Council to take measures for an end to Israeli attacks on the al-Aqsa Mosque compound and violation of the Islamic holy site.
OIC Secretary General Iyad Ameen Madani said in a Sunday statement that Israel should be held responsible for consequences of continued systematic attacks on the mosque.
He added that Israel’s actions against one of Islam’s holiest sites “fuels religious conflict, extremism, and instability in the region.”
“Incursion into and desecration of the blessed al-Aqsa Mosque by groups of extremist settlers under the protection of the Israeli occupation forces" is considered " an act of provocation and blatant violation of relevant international resolutions and instruments,” he said.
Madani also noted that the settlers blocked access to the mosque and “savagely attacked” the worshipers there.
Earlier in the day, Israelis broke into the al-Aqsa compound and got engaged in violent clashes with Palestinians.
The move was also condemned by Jordan as a provocative act, hurting the feelings of all Arabs and Muslims.
Tel Aviv forces stormed the al-Aqsa compound and closed its gates after an eruption of the clashes between Palestinian Muslim worshipers and Israelis.
Israeli soldiers fired sound bombs inside the compound and attacked Muslim worshipers. In response, the Palestinians threw stones at the Israeli soldiers in an effort to prevent them from storming into the complex.
Dozens of worshipers were injured and at least 6 of them were detained by Israeli forces. Many of them also suffered from suffocation due to teargas inhalation.
Israeli illegal settlers, backed by Israeli forces, frequently force their way into the al-Aqsa Mosque compound, which usually ends up in clashes.