News   /   More   /   News

Yemen forces take control of Saudi bases in Jizan

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)
Saudi military vehicles patrol near the border with Yemen close to the kingdom’s southwestern city of Jizan, April 13, 2015. ©AFP

The Yemeni army, backed by popular committees, has seized control of a number of Saudi military bases in the province of Jizan as Riyadh keeps pounding the impoverished Arab nation.

According to media outlets on Sunday, Yemeni forces managed to capture three Saudi military sites in the area of al-Jaberi in the southwestern region.

The Yemeni forces also set fire to two Saudi military vehicles in the attack on Saudi military bases.

Yemen’s al-Masirah TV reported that Saudi forces collectively left their positions and fled the area as a result of the Yemeni attack.

Reports said earlier in the day that at least one Saudi soldier had been killed and five others wounded in a separate Yemeni retaliatory attack in Jizan.

Reports over the past days have shown a surge in border clashes between Saudi ground forces and Yemeni fighters.

The advance by Yemeni forces comes as Saudi Arabia continues to target Yemen with deadly attacks.

Saudi fighter jets pounded the town of Saqayn in the northern Yemeni province of Sa’ada in Riyadh's latest onslaught on the Arab country on Sunday. There was no immediate report of casualties or damage due to the attack.

Saudi aircraft also bombarded a mosque in the Yemeni capita, Sana’a, on Saturday, killing at least four people.

At least five people, including women and children, also lost their lives in a Saudi airstrike, on a residential area in Yemen’s central province of Ma’rib.

Riyadh has been bombarding areas across Yemen since March 26 without the mandate of the United Nations (UN) and with the aim of undermining the Houthi Ansarullah movement as well as restoring to power fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, who is a staunch ally of the Al Saud regime.

Spokesman for UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Rupert Colville, said on June 16 that in excess of 1,410 Yemeni civilians, including 210 women, have been killed and a further 3,423 have suffered injuries since Saudi Arabia started its military campaign in Yemen.

IA/HMV/SS


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

www.presstv.tv

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku