Wednesday Apr 24, 201303:53 PM GMT
US admits to 92 Gitmo hunger strikers
Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:51PM
Share | Email | Print


Eight additional Guantanamo detainees have been recognized as hunger strikers since Tuesday, bringing the total count to 92, a military spokesman said Wednesday.

 

Seventeen of the detainees are being force-fed and two of them are in the hospital with non-life threatening conditions, Lt. Col. Sam House said in an email from the remote naval base. Just 43 hunger strikers were recognized before officials raided Camp Six earlier this month and forced detainees into single cells.

 

The military's Muslim advisor at Guantanamo told reporters during a visit last week that he believes more than one of the detainees will die before the hunger strike is over. The military has sent additional medical personnel down to Guantanamo to deal with the hunger strike.

 

Guantanamo currently holds 166 detainees, many of whom the government has said it would hold indefinitely without trial. Just a handful of the detainees have ever been charged. The Huffington Post

 

FACTS & FIGURES

 

Lawyers for Guantanamo Bay detainees and human rights officials have reported over 100 detainees are engaged in a hunger strike, protesting mistreatment and the confiscation of Qur’ans. Antiwar

 

On April 13, military guards at Guantanamo’s communal camp fired four nonlethal rounds at detainees morning as the facility commander forced them into single cells in an apparent effort to stop a prolonged hunger strike. The Huffington Post

 

Top officials at the Guantanamo Bay prison defended the raid that resulted in a violent clash with detainees, saying the operation was critical and the handful of injuries on both sides were minor. AP

 

Twelve activists were arrested outside of a Federal Courthouse in New York City on Monday after protesting in response to a confession by Guantanamo Bay prison officials on Saturday that 84 detainees are on hunger strike and 16 of them are being force-fed, an act considered by many to be a form of torture. Common Dreams

 

Most of the detainees at Guantanamo have been imprisoned by the U.S. government for close to a decade without charges and with no end in sight to their captivity. Salon

 

More than four years ago, President Obama pledged to close the Guantanamo prison, recognizing that it symbolized the U.S. government's violation of human rights and the best of American values in the name of "global war." Not only has President Obama failed to close it, he has embraced two fundamental violations of human rights that make Guantanamo  a stain on the United States' credibility worldwide: Unfair trials and indefinite detention. The Huffington Post

 

The violent clash between guards and prisoners at the prison and the release of harrowing accounts by inmates of force-feeding of hunger strikers threw a harsh spotlight on President Barack Obama’s failure to close the camp. Daily Times

 

On April 5, the UN human rights chief called on the United States to close down the Guantanamo prison camp, saying the indefinite imprisonment of many detainees without charge or trial violated international law. Reuters

 

The United States Southern Command has requested $49 million to build a new prison building at Guantanamo Bay for “special” detainees on top of other renovations it says are necessary since Congress has decided to keep it open indefinitely. NY Times

 

A new commander has been named to lead the Guantanamo Bay prison. AP

ISH/HJ

Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
  • Latest News
  • Top Hits
© Copyright 2010 Press TV. All rights reserved.