Saturday May 19, 201210:26 PM GMT
OWS protesters arrested on terror charges with dubious evidence
Sat May 19, 2012 10:25PM
Share | Email | Print
Chicago police during anti-NATO protests

 

The City of Chicago has filed charges against three Occupy activists, Jared Chase, Brent Beterly, and Brian Jacob Church, including possession of explosives or incendiary devices, material support for terrorism, and conspiracy.

 

While police say the suspects had Molotov cocktail-making equipment, the National Lawyers Guild says they only had beer-making equipment and cell phones. Common Dreams

 

HIGHLIGHTS

 

The men had been planning to attack President Obama's campaign headquarters, Mayor Rahm Emanuel's home and other targets during this weekend's NATO summit, prosecutors said Saturday. NPR

 

Police conducted a raid without a warrant at a home in the Bridgeport neighborhood in Chicago and arrested the three along with six other activists. Common Dreams

 

WBEZ Chicago reports that the Cook County Circuit Court judge has ordered a $1.5 million bond for each of three activists. Common Dreams

 

Lawyer says the men are 'in shock' over allegations they tried to make a Molotov cocktail ahead of Nato summit protests. Raw Story

 

Attorneys representing the men say the charges are fabricated and aimed at intimidating activists. "We cannot say enough that we believe that these charges are absolutely very trumped up charges," said Sarah Gelsomino of the Peoples Law Office. "Clearly in an attempt to continue this intimidation campaign on activists. Charging these people who are here to peacefully protest against Nato for terrorism, when in reality the police have been terrorizing activists in Chicago, is absolutely outrageous." Raw Story

 

"All three of these guys, interestingly, were in the car about a week ago that was stopped and harassed by the Chicago police department," Gelsomino said. "They then posted that video online in an attempt to expose that police misconduct. Each of those three are now being charged with these crimes. That's as much as we know." The Guardian

 

The three men are all in their twenties. Two come from Florida and one from New Hampshire. The Guardian

 

"The city has so far failed to produce any evidence or the search warrant affidavit used in the raid," said Kris Hermes of the National Lawyers Guild. The Guardian

 

DT/SM

 

Comments
Add Comment Click Here
  • Latest News
  • Top Hits
© Copyright 2010 Press TV. All rights reserved.