Sunday Oct 16, 201103:47 PM GMT
US denies reports of Iraq withdrawal decision
Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:49PM
Share | Email | Print

The Pentagon denied reports Saturday that the U.S. abandoned plans to keep several thousand troops in Iraq after a year-end deadline, saying talks with Baghdad were still underway.

 

In a statement to reporters, Pentagon press secretary George Little denied the news reports: “Suggestions that a final decision has been reached about our training relationship with the Iraqi government are wrong. Those discussions are ongoing,” Little said.

 

The U.S. is still itching to keep about 5,000 additional troops past the deadline in December. The Maliki government - circumventing Parliament - initially agreed to the deal, but talks reached an impasse over granting the additional troops immunity from Iraqi law.

 

Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh last week suggested that Iraq was prepared to bow out of the deal, and instead rely on private contractors for “training” programs in 2012 and beyond.

 

A senior Obama administration official in Washington anonymously confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday that all American troops will leave Iraq except for about 160 active-duty soldiers attached to the U.S. Embassy.

 

But whether a few thousand or a few hundred, the decrease in the number of troops from the current 41,000 seems unlikely to change Iraq's new client state status. An effective occupation is not even being negotiated upon. Antiwar

 

FACTS & FIGURES

The Status of Forces Agreement signed by Iraq and the United States during the Bush administration says all U.S. troops must leave Iraq by Dec. 31, 2011. Huffington Post

 

After more than eight years of war, many weary Iraqis are ready to see U.S. troops go, and staunchly defend their national sovereignty against an American force they see as occupiers. NPR

 

The politics of occupation have not changed. For months, American officials warned the Iraqis that if they did not issue a formal request to stay it would become logistically impossible to slow the pullout. NY Times

 

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta supports a plan that would keep 3,000 to 4,000 troops on the ground in Iraq after this year's withdrawal deadline. Politico

 

Panetta demanded that the Iraqi government ensure explicit and complete immunity for all U.S. soldiers that remain in the nation beyond the end of the year. Antiwar.com

 

Iraqi leaders, however, insist that “only U.S. trainers could stay, and since they were to remain on Iraqi military bases and not participate in missions, they didn’t need the blanket legal immunity troops have enjoyed for years.” Antiwar.com

 

Many analysts believe that the construction of a $600 million Vatican-size U.S. embassy in the heart of Baghdad signifies a permanent presence in Iraq. Fox News

 

HJ/DB

Comments
Add Comment Click Here
  • Latest News
  • Top Hits
© Copyright 2010 Press TV. All rights reserved.