Thursday Sep 06, 201210:20 AM GMT
Belfast authorities hold positive talks
Thu Sep 6, 2012 10:19AM
Share | Email | Print
Senior authorities in Northern Ireland have termed discussions about parades and the ongoing violence in North Belfast as "positive and constructive".


Northern Ireland's first and deputy first ministers, Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness, held talks with north Belfast politicians and explored the ongoing violence in the area.

Loyalists and republican parades led to three nights of rioting near Carlisle Circus, and more than 60 police officers were injured after they came under attack by petrol bombs, sticks and stones.

"We are very encouraged by the determination of all those who attended today's [Wednesday] meeting to work together to agree a way forward. All agreed that there is no place for violence”, Robinson and McGuinness said in a joint statement.

"There is a recognition that all the interested parties, not just politicians, have a role to play in the parades issue”, the statement said.

"We will be chairing a further series of meetings in the coming days with the aim of reaching a successful resolution ahead of the (loyalist) march on 29 September”, it added.

"Beyond that we will be resuming efforts to find an agreed approach to dealing with all contentious parades", said the statement.

A loyalist parade will be held on 29 September to mark the 100th anniversary of the Ulster Covenant.

MOL/HE
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Britain
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy