Sunday Jun 10, 201203:50 PM GMT
Two days of clashes in southern Libya leave 23 dead
Clashes between Libya
Clashes between Libya's Toubou minority and government forces claim 23 lives.
Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16PM
LAST UPDATE
Share | Email | Print
At least 23 people have been killed in two days of clashes in southern Libya, as fighting between tribesmen and security forces continue.


The clashes between Libya’s Toubou minority and government forces began in the city of Kufra on Saturday, lasting through Sunday. The violence has left more than 50 others wounded.

Local sources say 20 members of the community, including women and children, were among those killed.

Wissam Ben Hamid, commander of the Libya Shield Brigade said three of his men were also killed.

According to the commander, the clashes broke out when Toubou members attacked a checkpoint.

However, the tribe’s leader Issa Abdelmajid says 28 have been killed since Saturday.

Toubu tribesmen have also been involved in deadly clashes with Zwai tribe in the Saharan oasis of Kufra since February 2012.

Months after the fall of long-term Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi from power, the ruling National Transitional Council (NTC) is still struggling to assert its authority across the war-torn country.

The NTC has not been very successful in controlling rival regional militias and tribes, engaged in fighting for power and resources.

SZH/PKH/MA
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Africa
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy