Syria extends Arab League mission
Arab League monitors are seen in Daraa, Syria. (file photo)
Syria extends the mission of the Arab League monitors investigating the unrest in the country, for another month in response to a relevant request by the body, Press TV reports.
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem informed the League in a letter on Tuesday that Damascus had agreed to extend the mission from January 24 to February 23.
The Arab League's deputy secretary general, Nabil al-Arabi, said that the organization will not stop its mission despite some countries' withdrawal from it.
They include Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain and Oman. Saudi Arabia decided to pull its monitors out Sunday, and the other countries in the bloc followed suit on Tuesday, claiming Syria has failed to comply with implementing Arab League's proposal.
Earlier on Tuesday, al-Muallem said the league's demand that president Bashar al-Asaad step down is outrageous and flagrant intervention in Syria's internal affairs.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since mid-March. Many people have lost their lives in the country over the past ten months. Damascus says over 2,000 security forces have been killed in the unrest.
The West and the Syrian opposition accuse the government of killing protesters. But Damascus blames ''outlaws, saboteurs and armed terrorist groups'' for the unrest, insisting that it is being orchestrated from abroad.