Wednesday Sep 28, 201109:29 AM GMT
US attack kills 10 Afghan civilians
Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:32AM
UPDATE1
Share | Email | Print
US-led soldiers in Afghanistan (File photo)
American forces have carried out a military operation in Afghanistan's Nangarhar province, leaving at least 10 Afghan civilians dead, Press TV reports.


The overnight attack took place in a district in Nangarhar province near the border with Pakistan on Wednesday.

Witnesses said US troops also arrested a number of Afghans during the attack.

Local officials confirmed the attack and claimed that those killed were anti-government elements.

However, the US Military has yet to confirm the assault.

US warplanes also targeted a residential area in Ab Band district of the Ghazni province on Tuesday, leaving 35 people dead.

The US military claimed it had targeted Taliban militants but villagers said civilians were also among the dead.

Hundreds of civilians have lost their lives in US-led airstrikes and ground operations in various parts of Afghanistan over the past few months, with Afghans becoming more and more outraged over the seemingly endless number of deadly assaults.

Civilian casualties caused by the US-led NATO attacks have been a major source of tension between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the military alliance.

Afghans have held several protests against NATO over the issue of civilian casualties.

MSH/MB
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Asia-Pacific
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2011 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy